Thursday, July 7, 2011

Ear pains in planes :

Ear pains in planes :(?
I just got off of a long plane ride from Atlanta to LA. I've been on many flights, some 10 hours long, and none have given me such ear problems! The pain in my inner ear when ascending and descending the altitude was insane, same as the earlier flight from pittsburgh to atlanta. I'm wondering if this has something to do with smoking? .. Or maybe dehydration? I'm we'll off the plane and my ears are still totally out of wack. I can hear myself talk as if I were congested and have no idea how loud I'm speaking. This sucks.
Health & Safety - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Its because of how high it goes, and maybe you could try and pop your ears....or use like eardrops or somthing... but yeah, its bcuz of how high it is, and how long your on the plain for...
2 :
hold your nose and close your mouth and try to blow air through your nose.. if your holding it it should make your ears pop or help.. i dont know that and yawning usually helps me clear mine after plane rides
3 :
It could very well be a combination of those things. Dehydration is quite common in flight, so make sure you drink some extra water now that you're back on the ground. It sounds like your ears haven't "popped" back to normal. I've had this happen to me before. So annoying, it took a few days to get back to where I was. Give it a couple of days. :-(
4 :
Wait for a couple of days, it'll wear off. Next time, try yawning (stimulated) during the trip every time your ears get affected as this balances the pressure in your ears. (Something to do with the Eustachian Canal that connects your ear to your mouth)
5 :
The ear drum is flexible (to receive sound waves) and is subject to pressure. During ascending or descending from any altitude, the pressure is constantly changing. To help relieve, or pop, the pressure on the ear drum, chew gum. The movement of the jaw helps the ear drum to compensate for the pressure on the drum. Any build up of ear wax helps to facilitate the pressure on the drum as it will restrict drum movement. When the drum is restricted, it is evidenced by pain, from mild to severe.
6 :
Go see a doc. it sounds like you may have sparked off an infection of some kind ,it's normal to get slight pain which goes away after a while,if the pain doesn't subside there's generally a problem. I had a similar experience a few years ago and found out that my impacted wisdom tooth had become infected and the flight had made matters worse.

Search News